The Ten Commandments of Composition
Here are bullet points of a presentation I've done for the club. I would usually have the prints to illustrate the points. Even without the prints these "commandments" are still worth keeping in mind.
- Have one center of interest.
- Keep the background simple.
- The rule of thirds.
- Don't put the horizon in the middle of the picture.
- Check the edges of the frame.
- Lines of direction.
- The "S" Curve
- Look for Patterns.
- Vary your point of view.
- Don't be afraid to break the other nine.
Laws According to Schor
Law #1. There ain't no laws.
Law #2. When in doubt as to whether you are composing your picture correctly, refer back to Law #1.